“I’d love to declutter, but I don’t have the time”. Decluttering is like trying to lose weight or reaching any goal, it takes time, effort and determination. Life really is too short to be looking for stuff, let’s think about it, for every, 10, 20, 30 minutes we waste looking for stuff we rob ourselves of time and we miss out on doing the things we love.
Here are our top 20 tips to declutter life
Let’s not waste time and get to the truth, there is no such thing as the clutter fairies that fly into your life, wave their magic wand and your clutter simply disappears!!!
To effectively remove clutter, you need to make clutter a priority.
- Focus on only three priorities a day
- Turn off distractions such as TV, pings and reminders.
- Set limits on screen time.
- Put a limit on the favours you do each week.
- Get the important tasks done first.
- Remove something from your “to do” list.
- Focus on the important stuff.
- Simply start
- Never resist the urge to declutter
- Put a value on what your time is worth, for every moment you waste looking for stuff, how much is it worth?
Reorganise your time
I know our working days can start early and finish late but with a little planning you can make things run a little smoother. Here are a couple more tips to help you handle the rush.
- Always have your clothes prepared the night before. Do you have time to stand in front of the mirror and decide what to wear?
- Have your bags packed the night before with house keys close at hand.
- Make sure your car has plenty of fuel; nothing worse than rushing out the door to discover you need to stop and buy fuel.
- Before leaving the house take out a pre-prepared meal from the freezer to defrost, or set the slow cooker, in readiness for the evening meal.
- For public transport users, use this time to either create your shopping list and meal plan, catch up on reading or sleep.
- Don’t be a perfectionist, we don’t live in the page’s glossy magazines; we live in homes. As long as you can find what you want when you want it that is fine.
- It’s not a dirty word; it is ok to use it – DELEGATE.
- Get others to help you with the chores. We have this saying “Share the love” I say “Share the load”. This can be tough but give it a try, what have you got to lose?
- Know that good; is good enough
- Remember that life is too short to be looking for STUFF
For more tip to declutter your life check out Eco Organiser®