Does your wardrobe look like it has exploded, spreading across the floor, clothes hanging on the back of chairs and you still cannot find anything to wear?

Did you know a de cluttered and  organised wardrobe not only saves time, space and money, donating unwanted clothes helps women dress for success? The saying ‘dress for success’ is so important, particularly when going for a job interview.  Yet not all of us are able to put our best foot forward especially if we’ve been unemployed for some time and are financially challenged.

Not for profit organisation, Dress for Success Mornington Peninsula has assisted 1000’s of economically disadvantaged unemployed women to gain employment, helping these women go places stronger.

With our passion to help people declutter in an environmentally responsible way, Eco Organiser has joined forces with Dress for Success Mornington Peninsula to run the biggest wardrobe declutter boot camp.

In fact since starting the business Eco Organiser, we have has helped divert an estimated 10 825 kg of stuff from landfill, simply by finding good homes for unwanted stuff.

The consequences of clutter on people’s lifestyles cannot be underestimated, recent surveys show that the average Australian family spend $1226 per year on stuff they never use and one in eight people moved home to accommodate more stuff.

Indeed, our de-cluttering service has helped one client save an estimated $2500, simply by decluttering and organising her wardrobe.

With a philosophy steeped in a concern for the environment and with a passion to help people to declutter so they can live the life they want, the collaboration between Eco Organiser and Dress for Success is a natural fit.

The 1st July 2015 marks the launch of the online “Declutter Wardrobe Boot camp”, with all good quality ready to wear business attire and accessories donated to Dress for Success.

“I cannot give enough praise and admiration to these wonderful ladies and Dress for Success for the guidance and confidence they instilled in me. Thank you all very much, I am now employed and my life is changing for the better” Jodie Champ

We only wear 20% of our clothes, so what is the other 80% doing cluttering up our wardrobes.

Step 1. Sort

Start by clearing a space to sort your wardrobe, such as a table or use the bed. You will also need some sturdy bags, choose 4 medium sized, strong plastic bags to- Donate- Return – Recycle – Rubbish, avoid large plastic bags as you may find it difficult to lift once they are filled.

Once you are ready it is important to only work one shelf, one drawer or one rail at a time

Sort clothes into the following groups

  • Rubbish  

Anything that is in very poor condition and cannot be repaired or donated

  • Donate/Give Away 

Anything that is in good repair and ready to wear

  • Return 

To rightful owner

  • Recycle    

Check your local council for a textile recycling program and visit Eco Organiser® Useful Links for more ways to dispose of unwanted textiles

  • Stay  

It is important to set limits on what stays, carefully consider the things you need and want.  To ensure the build-up of clutter does not happen again, reflect on the clothes you don’t wear and make a commitment not to buy them again, remember that saying “less is more.

Step 2. Let it go

Once the entire wardrobe is sorted, remove the rubbish, donate or giveaway quality items, return borrowed clothes to rightful owner and recycle clothes from your home. Don’t leave these items at the front door, and don’t drive them around in your car, THEY MUST GO before you drag them out and say “Oh I can’t get rid of this” “Oh I will lose weight” you have made the decision LET IT GO!

Step 3. Set Practical Limits

What remains are things you allocated to the stay pile, be strong and don’t fall into the trap of putting everything into this category, set practical limits otherwise you will end up back where you started.

There will be certain pieces that you may never wear again such as a wedding dress; however, you may wish to pass it on. Now is the perfect time to check that it is stored correctly, as there’s nothing worse than discovering it has been eaten or soiled at a later date

So jump on board and turn your “floor robe” into a wardrobe and help others gain employment.

Follow us on Facebook Instagram Twitter LinkedIn