Shop your wardrobe reduce your fashion footprint

We hear about a carbon footprint, the amount of carbon our life choices produce and impact it has on the climate, yet how we shop, organise and care for our fashion choices come with its own footprint.

Tights, stockings, sportswear, yoga pants, and other form-fitting types of apparel are often made from nylon and although there are quite a few different types of nylon, most of them are derived from polyamide monomers that are extracted from crude oil, which is also known as petroleum.

It takes a great deal of energy to make nylon fabric, and a number of waste materials are also produced during the manufacturing process. Large quantities of water are used to cool nylon fabric fibers, and this water often carries pollutants into the hydrosphere surrounding manufacturing locations. In the production of most types of nylon fabric, nitrous oxide is released into the atmosphere, and this has is considered to be 300 times worse for the environment than CO2. +

I idea to shop your wardrobe came from a client; during the course of decluttering and organising her wardrobe we came across 2 suits she forgot she had, she was about to buy 2 more suits. She told me she would have spent around $2500, she not only saved a lot money just by decluttering and organising her wardrobe, her fashion footprint did not increase, rather she wore what she had.

Here’s the thing, we only wear 20% of our clothes, so what is the other 80% doing other than taking up space?

Step 1. Sort

Start by clearing a space to sort your wardrobe, such as a table or use the bed. You will also need some sturdy bags, choose 4 medium sized, strong plastic bags to- Donate- Return – Recycle – Rubbish, avoid large plastic bags as you may find it difficult to lift once they are filled.

Once you are ready it is important to only work one shelf, one drawer or one rail at a time

Sort clothes into the following groups

Rubbish  

Anything that is in very poor condition and cannot be repaired or donated

Donate/Give Away 

Anything that is in good repair and ready to wear

Return 

To rightful owner

Recycle    

Check your local council for a textile recycling program and visit Eco Organiser® Useful Links for more ways to dispose of unwanted textiles

Stay  

It is important to set limits on what stays, carefully consider the things you need and want.  To ensure the build-up of clutter does not happen again, reflect on the clothes you don’t wear and make a commitment not to buy them again, remember that saying “less is more.

Step 2. Let it go

Once the entire wardrobe is sorted, remove the rubbish, donate or giveaway quality items, return borrowed clothes to rightful owner and recycle clothes from your home. Don’t leave these items at the front door, and don’t drive them around in your car, THEY MUST GO before you drag them out and say “Oh I can’t get rid of this” “Oh I will lose weight” you have made the decision LET IT GO!

Step 3. Set Practical Limits

What remains are things you allocated to the stay pile, be strong and don’t fall into the trap of putting everything into this category, set practical limits otherwise you will end up back where you started.

There will be certain pieces that you may never wear again such as a wedding dress; however, you may wish to pass it on. Now is the perfect time to check that it is stored correctly, as there’s nothing worse than discovering it has been eaten or soiled at a later date

Check out Shop Your Wardrobe Part 2 for the next step to shop your wardrobe.

+ Source: Sewport