In 2011 Australia’s fashion icon, Country Road, fostered a sustainable approach to reduce the company’s environmental footprint. By partnering with the Red Cross, Country Road’s clientele have the opportunity to pass on clothing as their lifestyles change through Fashion Trade and in return are rewarded with a gift voucher.

Country Road saw this as a way to support charities and initiatives that look to improve health and wellness, provide equal opportunity and strengthen social development.

Global Trend

The fashion industry, including the production of all clothes which people wear, contributes to around 10% of global greenhouse gas emissions due to its long supply chains and energy intensive production.

  • The industry consumes more energy than the aviation and shipping industry combined.
  • The industry produces about 20% of global waste water.
  • 85% of textiles end up in landfills or are incinerated when most of these materials could be reused.

Source UNFCCC

Climate Council have shown definitive links of human behaviour to climate change, with an upsurge of mindful consumption, trading our once loved clothing items not only make environmental sense it helps to support people in need.

Restore Order in a Sustainable Fashion

Recycling programs such as Fashion Trade and “take-back” programs, can make a major impact, by extending the time that each item of clothing is used could halve the fashion industry’s greenhouse gas emissions.

As an Eco Organiser® it is not uncommon to hear “I have nothing to wear”, yet only 20% of our clothes are worn, leaving 80% hanging idle, taking up valuable space. Another common complaint is “I could not find it, so I bought another”, we refer to this as the clutter spiral, spaces within the home overwhelmed by stuff.

How to restore order

  • Check each item of clothing and rethink: Do I need it? Does it make me feel good? Do I have similar?
  • Commit to not adding more to the wardrobe until it is sorted and organised, who’s to say you may already have what I need.
  • Declutter first, before buying storage, better still repurpose boxes and baskets for storage instead of buying new.
  • Repair and clean clothing, shoes, handbags and accessories before storing, dirty items attract silverfish and moths.
  • Recycle any textiles that are not fit to donate, visit Upparel or ask your local council and op shop if they have a rag recycling program.

By ethically decluttering you are rewarded with organised space, clarity and opportunity to turn your clutter into opportunities for people in need.

By donating one or more shop quality Country Road clothing or accessory items you will receive one $10 Fashion Trade voucher, (excluding hosiery, intimate apparel or swimwear)

This not only prevents clothes going to landfill, but also raises much-needed funds for Red Cross. These funds could go towards things like daily phone calls to help elderly Australians stay safe and independent at home or perhaps shelter for a family after a disaster.

To find a participating store near you click here.


Australian clutter-free, sustainable lifestyle teacher Tanya Lewis aka The Eco Organiser® and author of STUFF OFF! & Ethically Declutter Your Home in 30 Days educates communities on the benefits of ethically decluttering, offering peace of mind and helps find good homes for unwanted stuff.

From the Australian bush to the Sydney Opera House and universities such as Melbourne, Queensland & Strathclyde (UK) Tanya has helped over 8000 people ethically declutter and, in the process, has diverted an estimated 43 000+kg of unwanted stuff from landfill.

Eco Organiser® communicates a simple message in simple language, by keeping it real and delivered in a non-judgemental you avoid the glazed over look, of “not another recycling message”

Eco Organiser® works to transform wasteful habits through advocacy, program delivery and collaboration. The goal is to maximise the health and well-being of communities and habitat to reduce waste and enable the programs to continue after they leave.

Tanya love’s being invited into communities, corporations, universities and businesses to share her passion and simple actions to reduce waste and move towards a sustainable lifestyle.

For further information:

E:            tanya@ecoorganiser.com.au

T:            Australia +61 448 877 902

www.ecoorganiser.com.au

Follow us on Facebook Instagram Linkedin